For those seeking the laid back, uncongested Florida lifestyle but still come to expect a wealth of amenities including waterfront living, outdoor recreation, restaurants, and a thriving downtown, Punta Gorda is the place to be. For our series, “Why Southwest Florida“, we sat down with Punta Gorda residents, Mike and Sue. They traveled the state of Florida, searching for just the right fit, and found it in this charming town along the Gulf Coast.
Boating and the Outdoor Lifestyle
Located at the intersection of the Peace River and Charlotte Harbor, Punta Gorda is poised to take advantage of scenic waterfront vistas and the boating way of life. The deep harbor and 75 miles of deep sailboat water canal frontage make it an excellent sailing and boating location, as listed by numerous magazines and sailing publications.
Originating in Bartow, Florida, the Peace River is known for its bouts of unspoiled scenery and old Florida feel, running 106 miles before finally flushing into Charlotte Harbor. Charlotte Harbor includes one of the world’s largest protected marine estuaries compassing 270 square miles with 219 miles of natural shoreline. Boaters can enjoy nearby destinations like Placida/Cape Haze, Boca Grande, Palm Island, and Little Gasparilla Island. The natural amenities of Charlotte Harbor includes miles of beaches, more than 70 parks and preserves, fishing, paddling and sailing.
A Charming Downtown
Arts and Culture
Punta Gorda Airport
Key Facts about Punta Gorda
- Punta Gorda means “Fat Point” in Spanish because it lies as a “fat point” – sticking out into Charlotte Harbor, one of the country’s largest natural harbors.
- Population: (July 1, 2015 estimate) 18,796
- Median Age: 65.2
- Median household income (2010-2014, in 2014 dollars): $56,119
Punta Gorda Demographic information based on the latest U.S. Census information.
Punta Gorda Real Estate
- Median property sale price: $235,000
- Average days on market in March 2018 is 89 which is up 11.3% compared to last month and up 11.3% compared to last year.
- Months of inventory based on pended sales in March 2018 is 3.7, which is down 5.1% compared to February and down 9.7% compared to last year
- Source: Trendgraphix, Inc.