Our illustrious region has been well-designed over the years to harmoniously blend magnificent beaches, protected estuaries and wildlife preserves, and miles upon miles of nature trails with luxury real estate and cultural downtown city life.
Today marks the 49th Earth Day and what better place to embrace the meaning of living a more sustainable existence for a brighter and cleaner future than Sarasota, Manatee and Charlotte counties? As beautiful and innovative as our region is, there is still more to be done and each of us can make a difference. We’ve compiled a list of options for living a more sustainable and greener lifestyle.
Earth Day, Every Day
Curious about saving money and doing something kind for the environment? Here are some ideas:
- Consider installing solar panels for your home and heated pool
- Choose low-energy and energy efficient appliances and switching to LED lightbulbs
- Install energy efficient windows and doors
- Be mindful of the natural environment in our area, noticing the protected mangroves along our coasts and the endangered animal signs on our beaches and preserves
- Consider planting landscaping that is not invasive and does not compete with natural flora
- If you are a weekend water lover, be considerate of the marine life, marine birds and the emissions or leaks of your watercraft
- Finally, every little effort helps, so reach out to the numerous organizations involved with local turtle watches, beach and bay cleanups, and wildlife sanctuaries
Earth Day Festivities
Just Google ‘Earth Day around Sarasota, FL‘ and a list of activities and events pop up from Palmetto to Osprey taking place all week long. From the 30th Annual Earth Day Festival to the Earth Day Celebration at Selby Five Points Park, there is plenty to do and learn.
From well-maintained parks and bay areas to Manatee, Charlotte and Sarasota real estate, green initiatives can be found in nearly every facet of living. Being more environmentally-conscious can start right with the home you choose.
When buying a home that is sustainably built, look for the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification, that it has been built with sustainable materials and appliances, and has been engineered to reduce energy consumption. Ask your expert MSC real estate agent about local homes on the market that meet green, energy efficient, and sustainable standards by reputable builders.
Each county holds certifications from the Florida Green Building Coalition for initiatives in eco-friendly practices throughout the local government and community. Taking it even farther, Sarasota has pledged to go 100% sustainable with renewable energy city-wide by 2045. Additionally, Sarasota has joined a nationwide challenge for water conservation.
If you are passionate about reducing your carbon footprint in every way, this is the place to achieve your goal. From public transit to walkable city-centers, getting around town is easier than you think. Throughout the region, you can find electric car charging stations and farmers’ markets for locally grown foods. In fact, one of the leading eco-friendly communities is found in our backyard. Lakewood Ranch has been committed to sustainable and green-conscious building since the start.
To find out more about sustainable homes in Manatee, Charlotte and Sarasota counties, contact a Michael Saunders & Company agent at 888.552.5228.